Monday, September 14, 2009

trip to MO


Seems like we slowed down for most of July and August and there wasn't much to blog about. So I'll fill you in on a little... We were keeping our schedule pretty light because we had a trip to Missouri planned. Trace's brother, Ash, lives there in Fulton. It's pretty close to I-70 between St. Louis & Kansas City. Trace's parents and son went with us. So they came down to Gallup for a day or two before to check out the town and then we all loaded up in the Suburban and head out from Gallup on 8/13. it's about 16 hours each way so we did it in two days. There was plenty of room for everyone and snacks and A/C so the drive was just fine. just long! we stopped in Oklahoma city for the first night then got in to Fulton around 5 on Friday.

Ash is married to Lori and they have two kids, Miranda in 8th grade, and Gage is 7...1st grade i think? they had been building a new house on their property for the last year or two and it's done!! so we wanted to see them and the new house. it's awesome. perfect size for a family of 4 and beautiful! Of course i hardly took any pictures of anything so you'll have to take my word for it. Friday night we hung out at their house and had enchiladas and visited before we headed out to our hotel to crash.

Saturday we had a BBQ at Lori's dad's house. John has a cool old house, late 1800s early 1900s out in the country. They took us for a little tour around the country side and showed us where a lot of John's hayfields are and some great old houses. Just a day or two before John found a camp set up in the trees behind one of his fields. it was abandoned but the guys just had to get in there and snoop around. I was trying desperately to avoid chiggers so I stayed out. Chiggers by the way are AWFUL and very prevalent out there. they are a might, look like tiny fleas or ticks and they live in the tall grasses and will latch on and bite you for a few days even if you don't get them off. not to mention the mosquitoes and biting gnats. oh did I mention it was 85 and 85% humidity the whole time. I was a hot sweaty mess. so nice when you're meeting your new family! but I did some research on Chiggers so i did everything I could to avoid them. everyone else thought i was crazy. I'm happy to report I didn't get one chigger bite and the rest of the family was scratching and crying for a month!!

Sunday was a mellow day back at Ash's house. we went out for pizza and it POURED rain on us for a good hour. it's no wonder everything there is green and lush. it was beautiful! but i take the dry colorado air anyday. i thought it got humid at the beach! i was wrong. this was a whole new level of humid! Monday morning we loaded up and headed home. It was a quick trip with more driving that visiting but we all had a good time and i'm glad we went.

No comments:

Post a Comment